Midlands Technical College has named four top faculty members for 2017, including the recipient of its inaugural online teaching award.
Gina Ormond, faculty and clinical supervisor in MTC’s Allied Dental Education Program, received the Albin S. Johnson Faculty Excellence award. Ben Gaston, interim department chair for Engineer Technologies, was named the Dunbar-Tompkins Distinguished Lecturer in Career Programs, while Humanities Department instructor Anthony Scotti was named the Distinguished Lecturer in Arts and Sciences.
Holly Beard, an instructor in the college’s Social and Behavioral Sciences Department, received the Exemplary Online Faculty award.
“Our dedicated and experienced faculty are the foundation of MTC’s commitment to academic excellence,” MTC president Ronald L. Rhames said in a statement. “Many of our instructors earn state, regional, and national awards for work in and out of the classroom. These faculty awards are very distinctive because most of these recipients have been nominated and selected by their peers.”
The college also announced 2017 adjunct faculty award recipients in each of its programs.
“Without exceptional adjunct faculty, we could not do what we do,” Rhames said. “Many of MTC’s adjunct faculty are also working professionals in their fields. The expertise and depth of experience they bring to the classroom is instrumental, and our students benefit from that tremendously.”
The Adjunct Faculty of the Year are:
- Jason Chatman, Social and Behavioral Science, Academic Affairs
- Sheldon Cooke, Business/Public Service, Academic Affairs
- Joe W. Dawes, Creative Careers and Personal Enrichment, Corporate and Continuing Education
- Albert C. Deas, Developmental Studies, Academic Affairs
- Mendy Glogowski, Computer and Information Technology, Corporate and Continuing Education
- Christopher E. Hall, Industrial Technologies, Academic Affairs
- Martha E. Harris, Science, Academic Affairs
- Beverly Heinly, Health Sciences, Academic Affairs
- Randy Hurtt, Mathematics, Academic Affairs
- Adrian P. Jackson, Sr., Quality and Manufacturing, Corporate and Continuing Education
- Jane Napier, Information Systems Technology, Academic Affairs
- T. Mark Phillips, Industrial Technologies and Trades, Corporate and Continuing Education
- Shanek T. Robinson, Healthcare, Corporate and Continuing Education
- Renee Santos, Employee and Leadership Development, Corporate and Continuing Education
- Bradford L. South, Nursing, Academic Affairs
- Jimmy Dale Weaver, Humanities, Academic Affairs
- Melissa J. Wyndham, English, Academic Affairs