Published Oct. 15, 2015
Donation collection points for Harvest Hope Food Bank will be set up outside Friday night at the main entrance of Colonial Life Arena where Def Leppard is scheduled to perform. United Way of the Midlands also will be on site to collect cash donations and provide infomation on how fans can donate or volunteer to aid those in need.
Fans attending the concert who want to donate food and supplies to Harvest Hope Food Bank are asked to bring the following: canned good items with easy open tops (can be opened without can opener), peanut butter and jelly, toiletries, cleaning supplies, baby items including diapers, wipes and formula, plastic bags, beans, dry goods, detergent.
More floodplain repair permit open houses: The City of Columbia and Richland County will hold two more Floodplain Permit Repair Open Houses on Monday to answer questions about permitting for flood repair and rebuilding. These events will be in addition to the open house scheduled for today from 6-8 p.m. at Kilbourne Park Baptist Church, 4205 Kilbourne Road.
Monday’s events will be from 5-6:30 p.m. at Woodland Park, 6500 Olde Knight Parkway; and 7-8:30 p.m. at M.L. Smith Community Center, 5213 Farrow Road (across the street from the Greater St. Luke Baptist Church).
The open houses are designed to answer homeowner and contractor questions about the permitting application process in a one-on-one setting. Spanish interpreters will be available. No permits will be issued at these meetings. City permits can only be issued at Washington Square, 1136 Washington St.
Tax tips for replacing flooded vehicles: The Richland County Auditor offers the following tips for residents whose vehicles were destroyed in the flood:
· If you intend to buy another automobile of a higher value and your tag expires within two months, pay the taxes on your old vehicle first and then transfer the license plate to your new vehicle. This will give you a longer period of time before you pay taxes on the newer automobile.
· If you intend to purchase another vehicle before paying your taxes and updating your license plate, then the taxes will be due when your license plate expires on the new automobile.
· If you intend to purchase a vehicle and let the dealer purchase your license plate then you will have 120 days from the date of purchase to pay the property taxes on the new vehicle.
· If you do not intend to replace your vehicle, then you must turn in the license plate at the Department of Motor Vehicles and receive the form 5051. Bring, fax or email the form to the Auditor’s Office and receive a refund for the months remaining on the license plate.
Well water testing: Residents with wells should take precautions to ensure their water is safe to drink, according to the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control. DHEC offers instructions for disinfecting wells and well water testing supplies and results at some of its locations. For more information, click here or visit www.scdhec.gov/.
Lower Richland donation drive: County Councilman Kelvin Washington, District 10, has organized a donation drive for the Lower Richland community. Donors can drop off items from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday-Saturday, at the warehouse located at 1601 Shop Road. Items needed are non-perishable food items, furniture, baby diapers and wipes and bottled water. (At this time, clothes and shoes are not needed.)
Water Distribution Sites: Richland County has added a new water distribution site on Campground Road. A total of five water distribution sites are open daily from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.:
· Mt. Pleasant Methodist Church, 760 Campground Road
· Forest Heights Elementary School, 2500 Blue Ridge Terrace
· Columbia Place Mall, 7201 Two Notch Road
· Richland Co. Sheriff Substation, 2615 Lower Richland Blvd.
· 3700 Landmark Drive
FEMA offices: FEMA mobile offices are at two Richland Library locations to assist residents affected by the flood with registering for disaster assistance, from 8 a.m.-7 p.m., daily:
· Richland Library Southeast, 7421 Garners Ferry Road, Columbia.
· Richland Library Eastover, 608 Main St., Eastover.