SC Biz News

Government

Subscribe to Our Digital Newsletters

McMaster assesses damage from Irma

Government
  • Staff Report
Print Story
  • Share

Gov. Henry McMaster announced Tuesday the evacuation orders for the barrier islands of South Carolina had been lifted at 9:15 a.m.

During a press conference, the governor said that the state received little widespread damage from Tropical Storm Irma. SCEMD said 29 counties continue to have emergency centers operating around the state.

The Department of Public Safety reported 233 state troopers and transport officers are focused on traffic management as evacuees and other people get out on the roadways. Secretary of Transportation Christy Hall said there was little damage to the state’s infrastructure, but cautioned that traffic would be higher than normal.

“Expect there to be congestion on I-26 and I-95 for the next few days,” Hall said.

There are more than 198 road closures around the state, most of them in Greenville County.

Office of Regulatory Staff executive director Dukes Scott said there are currently no issues with fuel in the state, but power outages are still a concern. At the morning briefing, Scott said 197,550 meters were still out, with most of those having problems in Greenville and Anderson counties.

A total of 24 general population shelters were set up around the state, and they took in 1,059 people during the storm. Most of those shelters will be closing today as their numbers decrease.

McMaster said he is grateful South Carolina avoided a direct hit from the hurricane, and thanked his team for their work. He also said plans are being made for Hurricane Jose’s possible track towards the Southeast coast.

  • Share
0 Comments
Write a Comment